Thursday, May 29, 2014

Memorable Experiences

The most obvious highlight from this semester was our trip to New York City. This trip was unique in a few ways for me. First, it was the longest time I'd ever spent in the city and we were able to do many of the things that I've always wanted to do in New York. And, of course, the entire purpose was to photograph everything. It was great to go everywhere that we did -- the Highline, Brooklyn Bridge, 9/11 Memorial, Times Square, etc. -- but the really cool part of the experience was to be there for the sole purpose of photography. We were able to spend a ton of time exploring each place, which allowed me to experiment with various techniques and perspectives and to work with both digital and film. Most importantly, it forced me to take a deeper look at each location, to find the details and unusual perspectives, to push myself creatively, and to shoot as much as possible. The results go far beyond the typical touristy snapshots of New York.

A second highlight was the whole experience of the Clayton's show. I was excited at the opportunity to be able to show a few pieces of work and learned a lot about the whole process of an art show. From choosing which work to show, to matting and framing, to hanging the show, I had never considered all of the work that goes into a show like this one. It was great to be able to learn about this process by being directly involved. The final payoff of having two photographs shown was really exciting. Most of our work never goes beyond the walls of YHS, so it was great to be able to share this with a part of our larger community. 

Finally, I also want to add that I loved the way this class was structured with so much freedom. It was incredible to spend so much time in the darkroom, printing as much as possible and becoming more proficient in the techniques. It was also great to have the freedom to photograph whatever theme we chose for our weekly assignments. This forced me to think more creatively and to push the boundaries of my focus. This class has been one of my favorite at YHS and I'm glad I had the opportunity to learn so much about photography, something that I know I'll be doing for the rest of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment